A Little Perspective

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Theoretically Speaking...

Alright so I've been turning this idea around in my head for quite sometime and I think it has finally evolved into something just short of logic. You can be the judge though. So, how many of us have found ourselves "falling in love" with a person without really knowing them all that well? Sure, you talk to them every so often, you see them around, you hang around in the same crowds, and you seize every opportunity you can to be around them. It's okay, there's no shame in it, we've all been there. But here's the problem: you don't really know them. You have an idea about them. You have a picture of them in your head. You have a theory of who that person is. Now it would be all fine and dandy if the theory was true...you like them, they like you, welcome to happily ever after. But really? The truth is that it is only a matter of time before the blinding light of optimism is turned down just long enough to see that the theoretical person you are in love with, does not in fact exist. Yes it sucks. Yes it is hard. And yes, you will get over it. But how many times must one go through this process before they stop projecting those theories? I'm not a pessimist when it comes to love, honest. I just like to keep it in check with reality, because sometimes it all just seems a little too fantastic. Maybe that's the problem though...that I have no idea what I'm talking about. Who says I know anything about love anyway? Exactly. 

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Sometimes I wonder if we are the same person! You just told the story of my life. I love you!

October 24, 2009 at 1:39 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I seriously think I could have written that post. I am the queen of projecting desired personalities on other people (aka theorizing what they are like). It always ends up in disappointment.

October 24, 2009 at 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home